Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Yarn Along



Joining with Ginny at Small Thing's for today's Yarn Along. 

On Sunday we got home from a week long vacation and I didn't knit one stitch while we were away. Now that we are back, I have been trying to sneak in a few rows on my sweater  each night before bed. I am getting close to being done with the body....hopefully by next week. And then I will need to figure out what to do with the sleeves. The pattern calls for 3/4 length, which often seems awkward for me. I may go for full length, but since it is a lightweight sweater, I was considering making them capped. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts for me?

I did manage to get a bit of reading in on our trip. With 7 hours of flying each way, I had nothing more pressing to do! I devoured The Lowland by Jumpa Lahiri mostly on the flight there. I love her writing style, and this story was a favorite of mine. It took about 30 pages to get into the groove and then I was hooked. I would certainly recommend it. I also finally finished up the first book in the Game of Thrones series. Currently, I am almost finished reading The Great Gatsby and am also working my way through Buddhism for Mothers of Small Children, which has been a great tool for finding patience with little ones around, and How to Behave so Your Preschooler Will Too. So far I am appreciating this one.

What are you reading? What are you knitting?


Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. I am doing the same with my current knitting project, a few rows every day, since I can't seem to get long stretches of knitting time in during the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer just seems to be such a busy time for all of us. I am lucky to get any knitting done at all lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience with littles...that is definitely a challenge. I might need to pick up that book! I kind of devour anything that is about raising kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knit as much as I plan to knit on vacation! I always over pack my knitting too. Glad you are sneaking in rows each day now that you are home, sweet, home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how different all of those books are! i'm also the same with 3/4 length sleeves, it's just weird on me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished my granny square crochet afghan, FINALLY! Will post pictures on my blog later today, I hope. Currently reading "Blue Like Jazz" and really enjoying it. You are like me - reading several books at a time. Must be a "teacher" thing. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a light weight knit I like the 3/4 sleeves. I think the full length would be the better option instead of the cap sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just found your blog via the Yarn Along and clicked because i liked the colour of the yarn and the photograph. :) Like you I find 3/4 sleeves a little difficult. They look good on the pictures but I don't always like wearing them. That said, I have one jumper that I knitted years ago with sleeves like that which I wear all the time - I tend to combine it with just a camisole underneath so the sleeves of the jumper don't bunch up around the sleeves of whatever else i'm wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty and delicate yarn! Love the green.

    ReplyDelete