Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Trip to Mt. St. Helens

Finn has been talking a lot about volcanoes lately, so the kids and I decided to make a day trip up to Mt. St. Helens. It is only about a 2 hour drive, but I haven't been up there in almost 7 years, and never in the middle of summer. Upon arrival, I was reminded how gorgeous it is.
We first headed to the Forest Learning Center where we got to touch volcanic rocks, pelts, skulls, elk hooves and an assortment of forest related items. Then, after a few pull offs to viewpoints, we went up to the observatory. We watched an amazing short film that detailed the huge eruption in 1980, as well as the forest recovery since. Our last stop was the hummocks trailhead. I was hoping to do the entire 2.5 mile loop, but Finn was "hot and sweaty and his legs were tired", and, as I was carrying 30-pound Phoebe on my back, I was OK turning around after about 3/4 of a mile.
If I had been there sans kids, I could have explored every nook and cranny, but considering it was a long (and hot) day for the kids, I was pretty happy with what we did get to see.









Photo by Finn. I have a really funny look on my face!

Variable Checkerspot butterfly. These beauties were everywhere on our hike!


My hot and sweaty guy.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I remember that Mt. St. Helens eruptions of 1980! I would like to see that some day. Your pictures are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, just stunning. Definitely something my little man would love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. breathtaking views and wow, I wish I was there. I love the first photo with the purple and the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good for you! It looks beautiful up there! Those 'tired little legs' do come up here from time to time, I even pulled out our old stroller once a while back and took it with us when we had some plans for long, long walking... Felt like lots of extra work though, pushing that thing around - feels like ages since I pushed a baby in a stroller :-) And, now he's few times the weight to push too. Yes, short and sweet works here too these days. Although, I hear you, truly exploring those paths sounds like bliss!

    ReplyDelete