Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Toxins in Your Makeup?

Did you know that most personal care and cosmetic products contain untested and unregulated chemicals? And did you know that many of these products have been linked to health problems, yet they are still on the store shelves, in your bathroom, and on your face?
Most people use several personal care products each day. I am a minimalist when it comes to makeup and such, but I still use soap, shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste on a daily basis and I sometimes use lotion, nail polish, chapstick or lipstick, plus sunscreen during the summer. That is up to 8 or more products that I could be using each day. Although I try and use products that are better for me and the environment, labels are hard to decipher and can be deceiving....
The chemicals that exist in many care products are usually only present in small amounts, but if you are exposing yourself to chemicals from multiple sources, and doing it each and every day, those exposures can start to add up. And, if you are pregnant, you are exposing your unborn child to the toxins in your care products as well.
Personal care products may contain:
  • Parabens- These are used as preservatives and mimic estrogen. They have been linked to reproductive issues and cancer.
  • Fragrance- This can be anything, and fragrances often contain allergens, neurotoxins and interfere with hormones. And, the chemicals in these fragrances don't have to be labeled because they are "trade secrets".
  • Phthalates- These are found in many fragrances. They have been linked to birth defects, asthma, and reproductive problems.
  • Formaldehyde- Yup, the same stuff you use to embalm dead things. It has been linked to cancer.
  • BHA- This is another preservative and is also linked to cancer.
  • Oxybenzone- Commonly found in sunscreens. This chemical is a hormone disruptor and is particularly concerning for use in pregnant women, 
But why would toxic products be on our shelves? The government wouldn't let companies sell dangerous products, would they? The truth is that the FDA is responsible for regulating personal care products, but, their authority doesn't even begin until the products are on store shelves, and even then, their regulatory power is pretty minimal. The FDA does not test products for safety before they hit stores, and the FDA does not require that the manufacturers to test products for safety in most cases either. Companies do not have to list ingredients contained in fragrances (which could be any number of chemicals) and the FDA does not issue recalls for products on the shelves. If the FDA does believe a chemical to be harmful, they can take that company to court.. but this puts a heavy time and monetary burden on the FDA, and so it almost never happens. In Europe, companies must prove that a product is safe before it goes into the shelves. But here, in the good old US of A, the people have to prove (in court) that a product is dangerous before it will be removed. Which means that since the government is not looking after us, we need to look after ourselves.
So, what can you do?
  1. Use fewer products and in smaller amounts.
  2. Avoid fragrances! Buy things that say fragrance-free, as "unscented" may just mean a fragrance that smells like nothing.
  3. Make your own personal care products! I make my own salve and lip balm, which is super easy. I have made my own soap but it is more time consuming than I am willing to do on a regular basis. I would like to try to make my own lotions and shampoos though.
  4. Research your products and look for safer products. Instead of normal deodorant, I use a crystal. Instead of regular shampoo we use a bar shampoo that only has a few ingredients. A helpful website is: www.ewg.org/skindeep
  5. Can't find information on a product you like? Call them and ask if their products are safe. Ask if they have done safety tests on their products.
  6. Write letters or make phone calls to the FDA or to your local representative asking for stricter regulations on chemicals in the marketplace.
  7. Talk to your local store. Ask them if they know the safety on the products that they carry. Tell them which (safe) products you would like them to carry and why.
  8. Find more information at www.oeconline.org/safemakeup. If you live in Oregon, you can also sign the safe makeup petition.
Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Once again a very informative post :) I have been, for many years, staying clear of "fragrance" - I literally walk by the laundry detergent aisle smelling stronglty of "spring breeze" "crisp linen" and "summer meadows" and I develop a headache and often become nauseated. I am lucky I work in an area of employment that enforces a "no scents is good sense" policy! On the other hand he delicious fragrances of essential oils (my favourites being eucalyptus and lavendar) and flowers never bother me....really makes me wonder what the actual "fragrance" is in those detergents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! Essential oils don't bother me but "frangrances" do. I also get headaches and feel like I just smell chemicals instead of the scent.

      Delete
  2. We just watched Bag It- to be reviewed later this week- and that was the first time I had heard of the harmful chemicals put into products to make fragrances adhere to human skin- WTH- even in baby creams- awful- I agree that the less you use the better- I try and buy natural as often as possible- Pls let me know if/when you make a shampoo that suds well. That is just something I can't do without- suds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the movie tip-- I just put it in my queue.

      Delete
  3. Great post!! I gave up most beauty products year ago for this very reason. We use baking soda with some essential oils for our teeth, coconut oil for mositurizing, seabuckthorn oil for facial moisturizing and that is it! We have just started to make our own soap and use it for our hair as well. The only product I can't seem to find an alternative for is my hair paste...but I am working on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Maybe I will have to try some of your ideas and see if I can cut back my products even more.

      Delete
  4. Uggg. it's all so depressing! THanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete