Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Eating Animals: A Review

Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer is a non-fiction book that punches you right in the guts. It gets right down to the nitty-gritty (and mostly nasty) that is involved with the consumption of animals, especially factory farmed ones. It is brutally truthful, with no holds barred. And it is intense.
The reason why I decided to read this book is that I had read Everything is Illuminated, a work of fiction, also by Foer, and decided I wanted to give another book of his a go. Boy, I had no idea what I was getting into.
As a book, I found this a tremendously powerful read, full of facts, but also compelling and interesting. However, it was not easy to read this book; the graphic details about the horrific truth made it too much to take sometimes. It literally brought me to tears more than once, almost made me vomit, and made me question the sanity of the entire human race.
I first became a vegetarian right when I went away to college. It was a combination of reading Diet for A New America and seeing the "grade D meats: for prisoner and institution use only" stamped on the boxes of food in the CU dorms.  I was actually a very strict vegetarian for about the first 10 years, and then have wavered back and forth between a vegetarian and a mostly-vegetarian, to a baconatarian, or whatever seemed to suit me best at the moment. In recent years, I have mostly not eaten meat, but have eaten it when dining with other meat-eaters (trying to be less demanding). In recent months, I have been shifting back towards eating less meat and had come to a point where I had decided that I was going to be vegetarian again, at least for awhile. And then I read this book and I decided that meat eating was not anywhere in my near future.
This book touched on why we eat animals and why we eat the animals that we do (like, for instance, why is it normal to eat pigs, but not dogs?). Foer gets into talking about confined feedlot operations, the huge impact of animal farming on the environment, and especially global warming, and the terrible terrible treatment that these animals undergo. And not just the ones raised for meat, either. The ones raised for milk and eggs as well. In the US, farmed animals produce 130 times as much poop as the human population of the US. Gross.
Foer also touches on the tons of antibiotics used in animal farming, which are making diseases immune to them, the potential threat of a pandemic from diseases mutating from the animals we raise for food, and the fact that the animals raised for food have been so genetically altered that they are very little like their counterparts found 100 years ago.
The portions of this book that really spoke to me the most were the stories of the animal cruelty: the beatings, the inhumane practices, the deaths without dignity. It made me sick to my stomach to hear the ways in which these animals were treated. On a regular basis. And, fish included. Even wild-caught ones. It made me realize that we need to demand better conditions for the animals that we eat. Whether we do this by voting with our dollars, and only purchasing meat raised from non-factory farms, or we demand change at the policy level makes no difference to me or the animals, but clearly, something has to be done.
After reading this book, I decided to re-instate my vegetarianism and am now questioning the fish that I enjoying eating so much. I have tried go vegan before, several times, and have had a terribly hard time with it, but I would like to reduce the amount of dairy that I consume. We have always purchased milk without growth hormones and 'cage-free' eggs, but after reading this book, I really question what that means. I want to go to the farm where my food is coming from and see their animals. I want to make sure my cheese is coming from a cow that is having a decent life. But how feasible is that? Especially when my husband loves meat about as much as he loves me and my son eats cheese on top of his cereal (no, I am not joking). My family enjoys animal products. A lot. And so my family decisions need to have other peoples thoughts and feeling included.
I think my best bet is to head to my local farmers markets and try to purchase animal products from growers that are not keeping their animals in confined conditions. But what about those mid-week runs to the store for more milk and cheese? Luckily, New Seasons, our local organic grocery, does a pretty good of researching the farms where it buys it food. Now I just need to do a better job of informing myself.
This is a read that I would recommend to those questioning a move towards vegetarianism, or anyone with a stomach of steel. It is in no way pleasurable to read about how an animal become a meal, but I think that it is important to know where our food is coming from and what it took to get it there. Knowledge is power, and the more we know, the more we can impact change.
Now, I think I am off to write some letters on food policy...... Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I must admit I don't think reading this book is in my future! I'm too much of a wimp! I'm sure you've read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, a book which resonated with me. I like how Kingsolver raised her own meat and had respect for her animals. I think going to your local farmer's market is the way to go.

    Unfortunately, when many children think Doritos is a major food group, it's unrealistic for many to make the switch to vegetarianism. Plus, there is the money factor - why the heck do all the organic choices have to be so expensive? Pushing the marketing machine to give us other choices is helpful and seeing more environmentally-friendly items in the regular grocery store is important.

    That's my two cents anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 11 years of being a vegetarian, I have finally started eating meat. But my rules are 1. It has to be local and 2. It has to be pastured with no grain or antibiotics or hormones.

    I've finally gotten to a place where I am at peace with this.

    It's enabled me to be able to eat more locally, because I found it was hard to be a vegetarian and eat 100% locally. Where as, if you eat meat, it's a little easier.

    Anyways... = ) Just my journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^That makes it sound like I eat 100% locally. I definitely don't!! Maybe 80%.

      Haha.

      Delete
  3. Great review, thanks. I think I will leave it on the shelves though. I have read enough about animals raised for human consumption and it really breaks my heart. We are a vegetarian family, actually we only eat eggs from our farmer and soon we will only be eating eggs from our own chicks. We are dairy free as well. It was a decision I made years ago for myself, but at the time my husband was on the other end of the spectrum, he loves meat. I would still cook it for him in the beginning but there came a time when I wasn't even able to do that. He started cooking his own meat and eventually took up a vegetarian diet at home. He enjoys the vegetarian meals I cook and after researching on his own didn't enjoy meat as much. He will still eat it when we are out, which isn't very often, but that is it.

    We are raising our little man vegetarian. I love to have people over and cook a vegetarian meal for them, they are always amazed at how good everything is. Guests know when they come to my home they will get a vegan meal and when we eat at others homes I always bring a dish we can eat and share.

    Years ago when we first joined a CSA I took a visit out to the farm to see everything and meet our farmer. We had a great afternoon chatting and he loved showing me around the farm and the greenhouses. Near the end of our visit he said to me that I was the first person who had ever wanted to come out to the farm. I was stunned, I told him I just wanted to see where my food was coming from...I never would have guessed in all his years of farming that I would be the first person concerned with that. Made me kind of sad actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a thorough book review. We have incorporated Meatless Mondays into our lifestyle and I must admit I look forward to Mondays and trying different vegetarian options as a family. I, myself, often eat quasi-vegetarian -- the problem is my husband!

    ReplyDelete