Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Month of Taking Action

Since last May, I have been trying to reduce my impact on the environment by making a small change each month. This month I have been working on taking action, and specifically, I have been busy writing letters to my representatives to help to try and change the policies that affect our country. So far I have written letters touching on the regulations of the meat (and slaughter) industries, letters about testing the safety of personal care products, letters about labeling genetically modified foods at both the state and national level, and letters against the state of Oregon giving water rights to Nestle to bottle water for profit.
I sometimes wonder how much me- one person, and one without any political power, how much good can voicing my opinion really do? Does my senator really care what I think about genetically modified foods or the regulation of cosmetics? But, if a bunch of people, each one individual, all write in to voice our opinions, than the message may start to be heard. Our representatives are supposed to be representing the people (that's us), so if I don't voice my opinion to them, than I feel like I really can't complain when things don't go the way I want them to. So, speak up! Share your thoughts and make yourself heard.
I plan to make letter writing a regular part of my routine and hope to knock out at least one set of letters each month. There are certainly enough policy issues for me to complain about!

As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Are you willing to write a letter this month to voice your opinion? Together we can make change! Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I love that quote!! One of my favs.

    And yes, we do need to speak out, even if it is just one quiet little voice. Say your piece and make your point, someone is listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few times I've written to my representatives about different issues, and I wonder the same thing - does my voice really make a difference? I think one of the ways my voice is heard is through my vote - voting is so important!

    ReplyDelete