Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Salve

Last week, Finn and I made some homemade salve/lip balm that we will give away for the holidays and use throughout the winter. Salves are super easy and inexpensive if you have herbs growing in your garden!
A few weeks ago, we collected calendula, echinacea, dandelion, plantain, lemongrass, lemon balm and bee balm from our yard, put them in a jar, covered them with olive oil and let it sit in a window for a couple of weeks. Then we strained out the herbs and composted them. We took the infused oil and mixed it with an approximately equal amount of grated beeswax, and heated it on low over the stove. Once it was all melted, we added in some essential oils, and put it in containers to harden. That's it. Easy Peasy.
Have you made any salves?

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. This is STILL on my TOP garden to do list. Unfortunetly, we have NONE of these plants. They are on the list to grow next year though and I'm hoping we will have quite a good amount of salve for us and to gift next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also towards the top of my to do list--but ours would have to be a mint/basil salve, since they're the only two herbs growing in our garden. A friend made me some calendula salve before my son was born and it's been the best for diaper rash and the common boo-boo. I can almost smell the herbs and beeswax from your pictures---mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, thanks for sharing, I might go out today to make some!! I still have some of the plants growing out here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok - WOW - you are my new hero ;)
    These are lovely!!! My lips are suddenly feeling so dry and sad, if I only had some of that loveliness....

    ReplyDelete