So, how to reduce you and your family's lead exposure? Here are a few tips:
- Run the water from your tap until it becomes noticeable colder (usually about 30 seconds) before drinking. Also this is contrary to my save-water preaching, it will reduce your chance of lead exposure.
- Use cold water for cooking (never consume the hot water out of your tap as this is where the lead will lurk).
- Boiling water will not remove lead. However, there are water filtration systems that will. We use the New Wave Enviro 10 Stage filter and love it.
- Get your water tested for lead. Many cities, like Portland, will test it for free. Check to see if your city does.
- Don't let your child eat paint, soil with paint chips, and use all painted toys with caution. Seriously, it is a scary lead-world out there. It's nearly impossible to keep up with all of the recalls, but try to avoid toys made it China and do some research (if you can find the time!)