Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, June 15, 2015

My Favorite App....

 

OK people. I have a new favorite app. It's the Environmental Working Group's app called skin deep. At some point, I have mentioned their website, where you can go to find out how safe your personal care products are and can find safer alternatives to your current favorites. (Like sunscreen-- they currently have a list of the safest sunscreens on the market-- super handy!). I have been using their website for years, and love it. but...... I finally just downloaded their skin deep app and it is amazing. You just use the camera on your phone to scan a a product's bar code and up pop's their safety rating as well as a bunch of info on the product. Now, not every personal care product is in their bar code data base, but lots are, and if the bar code is not in there, you can still search by the product name. But, it is so very handy to have this with you while you are at the store shopping for a product-- you can just scan it in and see what the rating is. I am super excited and have already been using it to test all sort of things already in my home.
It's free. It's awesome. And no, I am not a paid sponsor. I just think their app is rad.

Do you have a favorite app?
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check this app out. It sounds like a good one. I just barely got a Kindle over the weekend - my first tablet. I don't have a smart phone - just basic talk and text - super frugal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a cell phone, [I know right,] but my Mike has one so I will tell him about this app so we can try it out. Thank you for sharing.
    I find myself becoming more and more aware of each and every product I use,
    especially what goes on and in my body, but still have so much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Taryn! I love the website too and didn't know they had an app. I just downloaded it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out this app. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete