Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Gratitude Sunday


This week I have felt grateful for the kindness of strangers. For the lovely family who drove an hour each way to pick up and re-home our lonely duck, and brought me a jar of homemade jam on top of it all. For the kids who came up to me tell me how 'awesome' my dog is while we watched the parade at Finn's school. And for the check out guy at the grocery store who asked about my day and really seemed to mean it. We have had a tough couple of months around here (more about that soon), and sometimes the smallest acts of kindness can mean so very much.
I tried to put a positive spin on the sad duck tales of the past several days, and yesterday we got a baby pool for the kids for our backyard. This was something that never could have happened with ducks, as they would be in (and pooping in) the pool before you could say the word gross. So, we are reclaiming the backyard. Making plans for how to use our new space. And I didn't have to wake up at 5:12 this morning and let them out (I just had to get up at 5:25 to let out Puppy Cow... apparently, he is still on the duck's schedule). I can be grateful for that, even if I am still really sad about losing our feathered friends.
I am also so thankful for this beautiful place that I call home. To have the mountains, the coast and the river all within easy driving distance is pretty amazing. There are so many places to explore and so much beauty. We drove to the coast today, just for the day, and I kept thinking how thankful I was to have a car and be able to drive to the ocean.
And lastly, I am so very grateful that I only have a few more days of work (and Finn a few more days of school) before summer break. That means a break from grading, packing lunches, and rushing around every morning! And it means a lot of fun adventures, because that's what summer is for, right?
What have you felt grateful for this week?

Playing along with the other Taryn of Wooly Moss Roots.
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Strangers can really brighten up your day, can't they? Small acts of kindness can really make all the difference in the world. Yay for the pool, I bet the kids loved that. And you do live in a beautiful place, one I hope to visit one day. It just seems like a refreshing and soul filling place you call home.

    Enjoy your week Taryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful things to be thankful for. I remember someone telling me once to always be kind to people, even if they are not to you, as you don't know what kind of day they are having or what is going on in their lives. Your little bit of kindness may be all they will get that day and could make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to know that the world is full of genuine souls isn't it? I've reminded lately to just intentionally treat everyone I come in contact with with kindness....because you never know what they are going through.
    And then there is that scripture...that literally gives me chills :)

    2 Stop neglecting to show hospitality to strangers, for by showing hospitality[a] some have had angels as their guests without being aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you have had some bumpy months, hopefully your summer will be fantastic and fun! I am grateful for being at home, the silence, the rain, the sun and spring time weather.

    ReplyDelete