Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Winter Moments


Portland's winter climate is cool and rainy. Lots of rainy. So, like most Portlanders, I cherish the snippets of snow that we get. This morning we woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground and it lightly snowed on and off all day. There was no accumulation, but watching snow fall is so mesmerizing, so meditative, that I was happy all the same.
Phoebe and I had a chance to go for a short hike. Well, to be completely honest, I needed to 'borrow' some soil for my class tomorrow, so we sort of had to go on a hike, but it was exactly what we both needed. There is something about wintery days that makes the whole world seem so quiet and muffled. We saw several other people on the trail, and heard and saw many birds, yet I still felt like we were in our own quiet bubble.
Spending an hour outside in the woods reminded me that it has been too long since I have done that; too long since I have reconnected with nature. I am glad to have had the chance and hope to be back soon.



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, what nature can do for the soul. Happy your class tomorrow forced you to get out there. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your soil and connected with nature at the same time! I love my walks and they happen to go through the woods.

    ReplyDelete