Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Boys, Hikes, Forts and Love


Happy MLK day! Boy, as nice as it is to have Finn at school during the week, the whole getting-up- and-rushing-to-get-ready thing is just not our cup of tea. The day goes so much smoother when I don't have to start out begging someone to get dressed and rushing around packing lunches and whatnot. So, today I am thankful to be able to be on our own schedule and not in a rush.
This weekend has been a great one with Mr. Finn. He has been extra happy and agreeable, and what mother wouldn't appreciate that? Yesterday Finn and I got to spend some special time together. While Phoebe napped and Todd watched football, we headed out towards the Gorge to go on a hike. We chose an open area because we wanted to be able to enjoy the sun.....however, when we got there, there were very strong winds (probably about 40 mph). We ended up ducking onto a path in the woods to get away from the wind, which also meant that we were hiking in shade. But, my little man didn't complain once. He was in good spirits and having fun.
On the way home, I thanked him for coming hiking with me and for being such a trooper. He said "Mom, of course I wanted to go with you because I love you so much and I always want to be with you." For a kid that doesn't often give spontaneous announcements of love, this was pretty monumental.
When we got home Finn decided he wanted to build a fort underneath his bunk bed and I gladly obliged. We pulled out some Christmas lights for the inside, some sheets and fabric for the walls, and brought some snuggley blankets and pillows in to make it cozy. When I came home from book club later that night, I found him asleep in his fort. Could it get any sweeter?
Finn and Phoebe have been in the fort all morning. Forts rule.



Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend. Finn looks so cute asleep in his fort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful hike! Your little guy is so sweet! You are a great mom. Enjoy these moments because it is true how quickly little guys grow. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a lovely, lovely day. And I LOVE that first picture of Finn. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete