Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Hello 2013!

The switch from one year into another is always a change that I welcome. A time for new beginnings, a time to assess my priorities, and a time to dream big for the future. For some reason, that fresh start always helps make the hurdles in life seem a bit more manageable, even if only for a few days.
I almost always make a list of resolutions for the new year. And not one or two things I would like to work on, but usually around 15 or 20. I know that I won't accomplish them all or succeed at every one, but it is a way for me to redirect my attention to what is important and where I would like to focus my energy. Included on this year's list are things like learning to knit cables, eating a salad with every dinner (I notoriously hate making salad even though  love eating them), updating my address book, reducing the amount of food we waste, and helping Finn to boost his self confidence. And, despite the long list of resolutions, I am also focusing on slowing down. Enjoying the everyday moments with my family and accepting that is is perfectly OK to have days where nothing gets accomplished. As much as I love my to-do lists, I know that in the end, that list is not what is truly important.
2012 was a pretty tumultuous year in my household. A lot of change, a lot of worry. I am hoping that 2013 will be a year of rebuilding and of mending, and a year of joy. I truly do have so much to be grateful for.
Wishing you all a wonderful 2013! Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful list of things to work towards this year. I hope for you a year of happiness, peace and lots of laughter. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list of "resolutions." You sound a lot like me...always trying to do things a bit better and always working on something! Your 2012 sounds a lot like ours was too. We are also hoping for positive changes in 2013, and like you, I also have much to be grateful for! Have you considered martial arts to help Finn's self-confidence. Search out the programs in your area...a good one can be a wonderful, positive experience. My husband did Sanchin Ru Karate with our Josh when he was little. Have a wonderful and peaceful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I thought about martial arts a few months back and the only parent-chld class I could find that allowed 5 year olds was way too expansive. But, I think I will look again. It seems like it would help him out a lot.

      Delete
  3. Happy new year!!! And any goal that you do is one done!!! Sounds successful to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year~

    Sounds like a lovely list of wonderful hopes and dreams for the new year. I hope 2013 is peaceful and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy new year lovely...and may it be a peaceful one with much magic in it for you. so love to talk with you one day...seems so many paralells between our lives/kids. xx

    ReplyDelete