Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Planning Our Garden

This weekend did not bring Portland very good weather and I was not motivated to do much gardening or planting in the rain.... and we do have lots of planting to do! We did, however, have a fairly successful garden-planning weekend. Todd and I spent some time drawing up some yard plans and deciding where we wanted to plant what......which is not always such an easy endeavor when you have a small space and love to grow things in the nightshade family, like tomatoes, potatoes and peppers, which can only be grown in the same location once every 3 years! We also made a run to the local nursery to get supplies to build a fence for the snap peas as well as to get some netting to build a barrier to keep our puppy out of the garden area. So, we were not successful in terms of planting, but at least we made some progress.
Our list of things to plant this spring includes radishes, carrots, 2 types of beets, 2 types of kale, chard, salad greens, and potatoes. This summer we will find space for many types of squash, beans, peppers and tomatoes.

This week looks like slightly less rain, so I hope to find a couple of hours to sneak out to the garden and get some seeds in the ground...  wish me luck!
What are YOU planting this year? Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. I was hoping to start our garden over spring break, but it has been so wet and well...you know, not fun gardening weather.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spent the afternoon at a friends house who is a master gardener- Much planning going on here too- so exciting- I love gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me. A brand new baby and a toddler and you still get so much done! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I'm planting...nothing. But I will be shopping for local fruits and veggies at the farmers market. does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have planted snap peas, sweet peas, green beans, greens, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, squash, and artichoke I think, in our Jiffy trays. I need to get my carrot seeds going outside in their raised beds and just today, Zac brought home dill, watermelon, and something else to start from seed. We also got blueberries, raspberries, and asparagus needing to be transplanted. Hope you get to plant soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating local definitely counts. And wow- Jenny- you have been BUSY!

    ReplyDelete