Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Back to Work After Baby

Well, today's the day. I have to go back to work and I still have baby brain. Luckily I am only teaching one course this term, which means that I only teach 1 or 2 afternoons a week (depending on if we have a field trip or not), and it is a course that I have taught several times before, so my prep work is pretty limited. But, I still have to go back to work. I have to remember to brush my teeth. I have to hope that I don't leak milk all over my clothes. I need to speak without cooing or using motherease. I can do it. But sort of wish I didn't have to.... not yet.
In a way, I am excited to start teaching again. I like the adult interaction, I like having a semblance of a schedule, and I enjoy my job. I love teaching my students about the environment, I love impacting their lives, and I love learning what they have to offer. But, if I had the choice, I would spend the next couple months at home, focused on my newest family member.
Even though my workload is minimal, and I am only gone 1 or 2 afternoons a week, I still have grading and preparations that loom over my head, making it hard to just give in to the moment that I am in. I have really been enjoying those free-from-work moments these past few months, and it will be a bit of an adjustment to go back.
But now Todd will have some daddy time with the kids, I will have a little space, and our lives will resume the routine we had before Phoebe arrived. Here's to making it through my first day back! Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. You'll do wonderfully and you'll find your rhythm before you know it! There are days that I wish I had a job to head back to, but you're right...living in the moment with baby is pretty neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great you have a job that you love so much! Here is to a smooth transition for you!

    ReplyDelete