Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let the Gardening Begin!

I have been procrastinating starting my garden this year.... mostly because we just had a baby 3 weeks ago and I have been sleep-deprived and in new-baby land, but also because we had horrible gardening weather last year and our entire garden was basically a disaster.
Most of our tomatoes rotted before they ripened, slugs ate our squash sprouts as soon as they would emerge from the soil, and veggies turned moldy before we could harvest them. So about midway through the summer, I pretty much gave up on the garden. The only thing I canned for the winter was some plum chutney from our trusty ol' plum tree and turned off all thoughts of gardening......
I think part of me is nervous that we may have another garden failure...what if the weather is horrible again and we wasted money on seeds? What if we can't go harvest our summer dinner from our yard? What if I wake up each morning and have to run outside to see how much the slugs decimated?
About 6 weeks ago I finally started to get into the garden spirit when I ordered my seeds and then again today, when enough sun popped out to motivate me to spend an hour outside with Finn weeding and planting our snow peas. Even though I have a lot of planning and a lot of work to do, today's (brief) sun and short time spend in the yard gave me hope that this year our garden will rock once again. We WILL have an abundant harvest, we WILL harvest dinner from our yard and any slugs found in my yard will be fed to the ducks (you hear that slugs?!?).
I hope to get some potatoes and greens in by the end of the weekend. Let the gardening begin!
Do you garden? Have you started planting yet? Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for a tiny bit of sun! Do you own the ducks you feed those slugs to? Its been raining here which has prevented us from doing too much weeding but there was a break yesterday so we went outside and got busy. Hope to plant some berries today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have ducks... 3 to be exact. When we got them as ducklings, we purchased 3 females (for eggs)... and ended up with 2 males and 1 female. So we do get eggs from one, but haven't had the heart to get rid of the 2 boys... I will post some recent pictures of them soon since the weather is getting nice again. I just took a few cute shots yesterday!

    ReplyDelete