Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Organic Crafts: A Review

I must say that I was quite disappointed with this book. First off, the pictures (drawings) in this book were microscopic and terrible... if you can't see what you are making, how would you be inspired to make it? Also, the drawings were almost always a few pages after the title (they came at the end of the instructions instead of at the beginning) so you don't get to see the picture at the same time you read the name of the project. Plus, the way it was set up, the picture from the previous project often ended up being right before the title of the next project.... so it looked (at least to me) like the drawing was for the title that it was near. And since they didn't match, I was continuously confused as to what project she was describing. Poorly planned.
I don't want to completely slam this book; there were a number of cute and practical projects, like natural pastes, a toad home (awesome) and a gourd birdhouse (which I have been planning to do this summer if my bird gourds grow!) Plus, I did a little background research on the author, and she seems like she is pretty environmentally-minded. However, I have read a couple other similar books recently (Ecoart and Nature's Art Box) which I enjoyed much more... mainly because the layout worked better for me and the larger pictures gave a better feel for what you were making.
So, this is one I would recommend borrowing from your local library before spending the money to buy it. There are some good crafts in there and maybe the layout won't be so aggravating to others. Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I spent three hours looking over the books you recommended yesterday- Thank you so much- You are my number one resource for my little man's summer activities-
    It drives me crazy when books/blogs have picture titles that don't follow logically- I put so much thought into layout that I get offened when other peoples minds don't think a step ahead.
    Thanks so much for the review- I will check to see if our library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'll have to scavenge the country for that book- it looks amazing. Thanks for the tip! xo m.

    ReplyDelete