Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cell Phone Safety

While at my local library, I got my hands onto a freaky pamphlet about cell phones and thought I would pass along some of the information; in general, this pamphlet discusses the great concerns of cell phone use, especially for children. Cell phones release both heat and radiation, both of which can have devastating effects on the body. Studies have shown correlations between cell phone use and cancer, including a correlation between brain tumors and the side of the head that a person normally holds their cell phone. Other safety concerns include eye and ear damage from the heat and radiation emitted.
Even scarier is that studies have shown similar effects from wifi.... not sure about you other blogging mamas, but we have wifi in our house, which means we are all being exposed to it on an extremely consistent basis.
If cell phones and radio frequencies are so bad for us, why don't we hear about it more often? Because, like almost everything else in our society, there are people out there making huge profits from the use of this technology.. and they need us to believe it is safe. Think about smoking and how long it took for the public to become aware of the hazards of tobacco use. Yikes!
So, what should we do? I know that I am not planning on getting rid of my cell phone anytime soon, but I do plan on keeping a landline and avoiding my cell phone as much as possible. Studies also suggest using a headset at all times when using a cell phone and NOT keeping your cell phone in your pocket or on your body (in a purse or bag is better). As I said, this info is fairly new to me, so I am going to try and do some more research (especially on the wifi safety part!) For more info, check out the wireless watch blog. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree!! I actually got rid of my cell phone about two years ago. It was too tempting to use, so away with it. I think about the Wifi though. Here I am it's right at my feet. Ick!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete