Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Salmon Homecoming

On Saturday, the kids and I headed to Oxbow Park to watch salmon spawn. We were able to see some spawning salmon, and even watched some females digging out their nests. We also saw a caddis fly shell, a rock that had quartz crystals in its pores, and a few cool fungi. And I, of course, brought home a pocket full of rocks that I collected, including a red beach agate.
However, the best part was that my kiddos were as happy as could be just playing by the side of the river. They dug holes, built caves, looked for rocks and when I mentioned leaving in 5 minutes, they begged for more time. And how could I not say yes?
When my children are immersed in nature, and not wanting to leave, I am a happy mama. It was a good day.










 Caddis fly shell

 Can you see the salmon in this picture? The tops of their bodies are peeking out of the water.



  




Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I could spend a few more minutes there too. It looks like a wonderful spot. How cool to see the salmon spawning, and to find so many nature treasures.

    ReplyDelete