Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Yarn Along


Joining in with Ginny of Small Things for this week's yarn along.

A few days ago, I finished up this slouchy hat for me; I included a photo below. I think it came out cute, but, like all hats I knit for myself, it just doesn't seem like "me".  If I were to do it again, I would shorten up the ribbing so it wouldn't sit so far off my head, and maybe that would help. I think I maybe just need to wear it and get used to it. It looks so cute on everyone else!

I just cast on this poncho for Phoebe. My plan was to make it in stripes, using only yarn from my stash (it will be such a great stash-buster!). However, the pattern calls for chunky weight yarn and I have an abundance of worsted weight. My plan is to just cast on double the amount of stitches and then still knit to the correct length. Fingers crossed it will work because I have never substituted yarn like this before. Any tips?

I FINALLY finished reading Moby Duck (hooray!) and have started reading Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed (from my summer 2013 reading list) as well as In the Company of Cheerful Ladies (#6 in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series).

But, the most exciting news I have for you today is that our ducklings have started hatching! When I came home from work Tuesday there were already 3 and at last count I saw 6, but it is super hard to see what is going on as the mama is literally sitting on the ducklings to keep them warm. Check back tomorrow for an update! By then we should have a better idea of what is going on under there and I promise to include some pictures!

What are you reading? What are you knitting?

Anyone have an advice on how to deal with newborn ducks who are under mama's care? I could use a little help!


Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Your hat is wonderful.. I always love your knits! And hurrah for baby ducks!! Congratulations on the new arrivals. :)

    Blessings, debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. your hat looks great. and that poncho is going to be so cute. :) how exciting about the ducklings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you look great in the hat!! It's gorgeous-so is the color! Congrats on the hatchlings and being a mama master duck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't help you with the ducks. But I do really love the hat.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh love the hat! Yay for the ducks, no advice here, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no advice on ducks but it sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No advice on the ducks but maybe an idea for the poncho: Knit gauge to see if you really need to double the amount of stitches to get the size you need. You probably don't. Or just double the yarn to achieve the chunkyness needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the hat! I am too new to offer advice on knitting but think you did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete