Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Adventures and Such

The past few days have been full of fun and adventure. It has finally warmed up here (A LOT)- it went form 60's and raining last week to mid 90's and full sun the past few days. It finally feels like summer now, although I must say that 90's are a bit too hot for my liking.....

On Friday, the kids and I headed to The Oregon Garden, a huge garden about an hour's drive away. We explored, found a hobit house, saw some amazing plants, rode the tram, and played in a fountain. It was fun, although there was a bit too much walking for Finn, especially since it was hot out.... If I was kid-less, I would have spent the entire day meandering around and checking out the nooks and crannies. Instead, I saw what was more accessible, and was happy that I got to see what I did!












Saturday we started the morning with a trip to the Farmers Market. We came home with raspeberries (that didn't even last the afternoon!), blackberries, blueberries, potatoes, kale, cilantro and brocolli. Yum!

Saturday afternoon, Finn and I headed to Vancouver, Washington for their annual Recycled Arts Festival. It was the first time that we had gone and it was way bigger than I had expected. We enjoyed walking around the booths and getting ideas for potential re-use projects that we could do at home. However, a lot of what was there was welded garden art that used recycled metals, and welding is not exactly in my homesteaders tool box. We did buy a super cute hat for Phoebe that has inspired me to start thinking about getting out the sewing machine again (it has been WAY too long). Regardless, I thought it was cool that Vancouver has a whole festival devoted to using recycled materials in art projects.




Saturday night I took the kids to see Old Crow Medicine Show at the Oregon Zoo. Todd had planned on going but changed his mind fairly last minute. After a lot of back and forth, I decided to take the kids solo, which I thought was a bit risky.... but they were great and we all had fun! So glad I decided to go!


Sunday was full of a family swimming trip and lunch out for barbeque, and an afternoon birthday party to end the day. Oh yes, and our washing machine bit the dust (after being repaired only a few weeks ago!) so we will be headed out tomorrow to hopefully find a good deal on a new one!

The days of summer are so fun and full of excitement, but they go by so fast! I can't believe tomorrow is already July!


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like such fun! Thanks for following me to my new blog! Hope your summer is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a busy weekend, but it looks like you had a great time. Love weekends that leave you feeling full and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun weekend! Those lily pads are beautiful, when we lived in MI there was a cemetery with lily pads AND turtles! Great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you guys are busy! I say we take a kid free trip to the Oregon Garden together, want to go in the fall?
    So glad you found some shade for the concert! Wish I got your text in time!

    ReplyDelete