Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 16, 2012

This Mama Needs Some Sleep!

I have been exhausted this past week. Delirious actually. I haven't slept for more than 2 hours in a row for over a week. Somehow, my sweet little baby who used to get up two or three times a night to nurse now wants to nurse 5, 6, 7 or heck, even 15 times a night. Sometimes she wakes me up every 20 minutes, sometimes I am "lucky" enough to get a 2 hour stretch. How can something that is so cute and sweet all day be wreaking such havoc on my mental and physical health?
I feel like I have been transported to the tiredness that happens when you have a brand new baby... except that I am working and no one is bringing me dinner or offering to do chores around my house. Phoebe just seems to need mama (and mama's milk) and nothing else seems to suffice.
During the past week Finn has also wet the bed 5 out of the 7 nights (and he still wears a pull-up; wetting the bed just means he peed in his diaper so much that it overflowed). That meant that either Todd or I was up changing him and his bed in the wee hours and the laundry cycle has been endless. And, if you remember, I started my cleanse last week. Which means no coffee in the morning to lift me out of the fog, no glass of wine at the end of the night to take the edge off and help me fall asleep, and no chocolatey goodness to treat myself to after a long day. And once I had to stop eating gluten for my cleanse, I realized how much I really did subsist on bread products....especially for snacks. It feels good to cut these things out, but I also find myself to be always hungry. And super tired plus hungry equals cranky mama.
Anyways, I am hoping that this is just a phase. A short phase. Anyone have any tips? Words of encouragement? This mama needs some sleep! Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Gabe is going through something similar! I'm walking around in a sleep-deprived funk, as well. And since I'm pregnant, I can't do caffeine or wine either. Sigh. At least I have bread. Haha.

    Is it possible that Phoebe might be reacting to changes in the composition of your breast milk that are occurring as a result of your cleanse? If push comes to shove and she doesn't return to better nighttime habits shortly, I would consider "pausing" the cleanse and seeing if reverting to your old diet helps her to sleep better at night.

    I know it's tough, especially with work! No real words of wisdom here. Just keep repeating my mantra of late: This too shall pass. Ha. Hang in there, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim- I was wondering the same thing.... if maybe my not eating sugar and gluten was affecting her in some way too. But then I wondered if that was just my excuse to give up on my cleanse. But, I think you are right. If she doesn't start sleeping more soon, maybe I will add some bread back into my diet and see what happens.
    Thanks for your help and I hope you get some more sleep too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm TOTALLY impressed with your cleanse resolve (I tend to make breastfeeding my excuse)...sugar and gluten free. Woah, mama! I've thought about a cleanse often but I'm afraid what I would find to eat...and afraid I would have some serious hAnger (hungry anger).

    That being said, I agree with Kim's thoughts above. I wonder if Phoebe is nursing more because there aren't as many calories in your milk and she isn't feeling as full and/or it tastes different? I'd tend to think she needs those calories you cut out - because if you're hungry maybe you aren't getting enough?

    Whatever's going on there I very much hope you get some sleep tonight. Wish I could give you a hand! Big hugs! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much sleep-deprived love to you Taryn! No words of wisdom from me, just solidarity. Silas is up every couple of hours at night and lately he's decided that nursing isn't enough to get him to go back to sleep (which, up until this point has been my only saving grace). Oh no. We want mama to get up and pace with us for an hour until we fall asleep. I'm taking Kimberly's mantra...this too shall pass. Sooner, rather than later, we hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mama....I've been there. I'm SOOOOO sorry!!! I remember Logan acted like that at about phoebe's age. And yes, I only had one then, but I've NEVER been so tired.....even with 3! When he did that, I found myself delerious too, and completly understood why sleep deprivation is used in torture. SERIOUSLY! And no coffee at that! Ugh....I'm so sorry. And I'm sorry I have no suggestions. Always, when I was in the thick of it, I didn't want to allow baby to nurse all night, thinking it would start an aweful trend. But eventually, out of sheer exhaustion, I'd just bring them into bed with me where they would nurse on and off all night, and I'd sleep on and off all night. It was still exhausting, but a little less tiring than having baby in their own bed and doing a bed shuggle all night long. But I don't know. I've really got nothing but sympathy. Sorry! This shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was supposted to be "bed SHUFFLE". :) And I should have read the other posts first before I posted. Guess all us mamas like the mantra "this too shall pass." :) But I think what they ladies above are saying makes sense. Maybe your milk isn't as rich in calaries any more. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I feel ya! I hope this passes very quickly! I have gone through several phases like this. I just didn't think I would make it. But somehow, we survive. Mothering is an extreme sport, for sure. I hope you can get some rest very soon!

    And just remember that your cleanse will give you MORE energy, eventually ; )

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm so sorry! It is a phase, but when you're in the thick of it, you can't imagine it having and end to it. I'll pray for you - sleep deprivation is awful for mothers.

    ReplyDelete