Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny over at Small Things for another Yarn Along. I am getting a bit of a late start writing this as I have had several nights of nearly no sleep in a row and I am a bit delirious.
This week has been a productive knitting week for me. I finished Phoebe's mittens on a string, and even made her a matching hat with ear flaps (that she can't pull off! Ha! I win!). I also finished the fern lace cowl that I made for myself (see the terrible self-portrait below)...and, it did stretch more and would have fit perfect except that I bound it off too tight. The pattern said to bind off loosely, which I thought I did, but I think I needed to bind off VERY loosely. I guess I am a tight knitter. I can put it on, but I literally have to force it over my head. Once it is on it is fine, but getting it on or off is sort of silly. I am disappointed, as it the first thing I have made for myself in over a year, but I love the yarn and I don't want to start it over. So, I will make it work. I just starting knitting Phoebe a pullover dress for her first birthday (which is March 1st already!) and I am using this pattern but I am modifying it quite a bit because I want to knit in the round instead of having to sew up seams at the end. Hopefully I won't mess it up. I chose an aqua blue with brown trim (I am not doing any striping).
I am still reading Collapse, which really, I am enjoying, but it is intense and I am having trouble reading more than a few pages at a time. It has also gotten pushed down in the ranks because I started The Night Circus, which is marvelously imaginative, and I have been sucked in.
What are you reading and knitting?

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. The cowl looks very nice. Sorry that it was too tight. The hat and mitts are such a lovely color - glad that you 'won' and that they won't come off or get lost. She'll get used to it. As for the dress, I love the combo of browns and blues. And your son's antics are very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you have been productive this week, have you been knitting in the wee hours of the morning?
    Sorry about your lack of sleep, I am having major insomnia so I can relate, I didn't make it to sleep until 3:30 this morning.
    Phoebe looks great in her hat. Those mittens are so sweet, you should sell them on your Etsy shop. I like your cowl too, did you block it? That might be an opportunity to stretch it out a bit more too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all the knitting you did!! The hat and the cowl are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all three of your finished knits! The hat and mitts are just too cute (and they obviously taste good too!) :) I think you should cast on something else for yourself now as a reward! ;)

    Cynthia @
    www.brambleberriesintherain.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The self portrait is lovely! The cowl looks great!
    And of course, Phoebe in her new knits - so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cowl is lovely...so disappointing that it's difficult to 'don'. :(

    ReplyDelete