Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quintessential Quinoa Salad

Now that I have cut most  dairy out of my life (at least temporarily), I have been having to come up with some new recipes for me and my family. So far I do miss the dairy, but my asthma has seemed to improve a little bit, and this whole no-cheese thing has motivated me to branch out from my normal eating routine. In fact, I just checked two vegan cookbooks out of the library today... maybe there will be some winners in there!
Tuesday night's dinner was baked salmon, collard greens, and a delicious quinoa salad that I adapted from a couscous salad recipe that I found online. It was super easy and turned out fabulous (even the husband was impressed). I am definitely going to make this again.. it will be a great one to bring to summer barbecues and picnics. Plus quinoa is high protein and oh-so good for you!

What You Need:
  • 1.5 cups raw red quinoa
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1/2 small red cabbage (about 1.5 cups), grated
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • black pepper to taste
What You Do:
  • Cook quinoa. In a bowl, mix together onions, pepper, carrot, cabbage and parsley. When quinoa has finished cooking, add it to the vegetables and mix together.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients for the dressing. Pour over salad and mix thoroughly.
  • Enjoy either warm or cold! Yum!
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I just recently discovered quinoa and am always looking for new recipes that use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe. I love quinoa and more importantly my kids will eat it! I roast vegetables with spices and cook the quinoa in stock. If you're interested, check out the recipe at my recipes page.

    ReplyDelete