Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, May 2, 2011

Learn an Herb: Heal All

Last summer I started a "Learn an Herb" series (OK, and by series, I mean I got around to doing 2 posts. But that's sort of a series, right?). Anyways, now that new growth (and herbs) are springing up everywhere, I decided that it's time to continue on learning some herbs. I do use herbs medicinally, but not as often as I would like. I am hoping that these posts will get me recognizing more of the plants that grow around me and get me motivated to try out some herbs for new uses.
So, today's herb is Heal All (prunella vulgaris), also known by self heal and about a million other names. This plant is a member of the mint family (which you can tell by its square shaped stem), and at least where I live, it thrives and is actually sort of an invasive weed. However, the name "heal all" is not in jest.... this plant, at least anecdotally, seems to be able to cure (or at least help) just about any ailment in existence.
Heal all has antibacterial properties and can be used externally for cut, bites, scratches and burns. It can also be taken internally for illnesses that one would normally take antibiotics to cure. It has been used to treat fevers, diarrhea, sore throat and mouth, vaginal problems, liver and heart weakness, high blood pressure, conjunctivitis and a variety of stomach problems. It can help reduce swollen glands and tumors and cure mastitis. Its antiviral properties have shown great promise in the treatment of herpes, HIV, cancer and diabetes.
Wow. Sounds like a miracle drug, right? I'm not quite sure how strong its healing powers are, but it seems like if something isn't quite right, give heal all a try. The web-based research that I did suggested that this herb should be avoided while pregnant or breastfeeding (but it seems that it is only because no research has been done on its safety, not because it has dangerous known side effects). Bummer for me..... I was hoping to give it a whirl this summer.
Have you ever used heal all? Does it grow where you live? Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great- I have never heard of the name 'heal all' but we do use a variety of mints to cure and prevent all sorts of things-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I think the image is actually Purple Deadnettle. Also a handy plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! you are correct! That needs to be fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete