Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring Explorations

Spring is such an exciting time in nature- buds and blossoms, the emergence of insects of all types, and busy birds. So, in between the rains, we have been trying to spend as much time as we can outside.
Last week we took a wonderful idea from Kim at Mothering with Mindfulness and decided to fill a couple of baskets with scrap fabric, yarn, and thread for the birds to use for their nests. I actually have a big bag of scrap fabric and yarn that I have been saving for years. For some reason, I just can't get myself to throw it away, yet I don't have any plans for it. This was a perfect use!



We have also been going on bug hunts! Finn got a kid's insect guide as the Earth Day festival we went to a few weeks back, and he has been very intent on trying to find all of the critters. We have been searching under rock and lifting up pots...magnifying glass in tow. I love to watch how excited he can get out in the yard. I am a scientist at heart, and although I will love my kids whether they enjoy science or not, it does make me a bit giddy when they get into scientist mode.


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. We need to make a bird basket. Been meaning to. And I wish we had an insect chart. Maybe I can find one online. Yesterday the kids were bringing rolly pollies inside to show me. :) I love that they were inspecting them, but I did mention that it was best for bugs to stay outside, especially when Kian said, "oops, where mine go?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks for the shout out, appreciate it. Love your little bird baskets, hope the birds like them too :)

    ReplyDelete