Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yarning Along and Some Finished Handmade Gifts...

Joining in with Ginny over at Small Things for this week's yarn along. I have been casting on a lot of knitting projects lately, and have had trouble sitting down to focus on finishing anything up. I finally put the finishing touches on Phoebe's pixie hat and finished up Finn's monster just in time for Valentine's Day. Finn's monster was actually the hardest thing that I have knit, which was completely unexpected because the cover of the book even talks about how easy these monsters are to knit. And most of it was easy. Except for those darn feet! Three toes on each foot that had to each be knit separately, and then put back onto dpns to knit up correctly into a foot. Let's just say that I had a few do-overs and neither foot is perfect. But, since it is a monster, I figured some disfigurement was OK. I think the instructions were a wee bit lacking (at least for this particular monster). I actually think he turned out really cute. I added a heart, for V-Day, and was glad I finished him (I had thought about giving up a few times). Finn has named him "Finn". Now I have 2 monsters named Finn living in my house!
After finishing up those projects, I still have a surprise baby gift, a hat for me, and a top for Phoebe all on needles, and I need to start a gift for Phoebe's birthday which is in 2 weeks. I am not going to cast on anything else until those 4 projects are completed. There. I said it. Now that it is out in the blogosphere, I can't go back on my word now.... can I?
And, I also whipped up a skirt for Phoebe for Valentine's Day as well. It was actually a trial skirt for her birthday skirt I will be making soon. I had never sewn a skirt before and wanted to give it a test run before using her special birthday fabric. It came out all right, but I need to make the next one a little more roomy to make it over those cloth diapers more easily.
Still reading Pride and Prejudice and finishing up The Big Thirst. Too much life has been happening to get much reading done.
What are you knitting? Reading?

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. sweet hat and cute little one, just made me smile, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the pixie hat (and the pixie wearing it) are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Finn monster is fab! Hat and smily baby just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to show this monster to my son! I know he would want one for his own. How wonderful. The hat and the skirt are great too. Is that a jaquard weave silk skirt? Can't tell. Her little rolls on her legs are so sweet (and that time is the only time rolls look sweet!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore them both! Hmm my monster may have had to go footless or at least have webbed feet. You are very patient. They are terrific and congrats for making such an awesome monster!
    xo,
    Ang (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the monster, love the hat, and your happy baby is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh such cute projects! and look at your darling baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that LOVE monster! What a fabulous Valentine's gift! How adorable is your sweet baby girl!? Beautiful smile and babylicious chubby legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen- her skirt is just an inexpensive cotton fabric. It looks like a vintage print though, doesn't it.
    Thanks for the sweet comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete