Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Some Time Outside...

 Yesterday, Finn and I decided to spend a little time exploring a park on the other side of Portland... one that we had never been to before. This park was interesting, as it was located in an industrial area down by the river, yet it had a pretty secluded feeling. We saw a few other people walking their dogs, but other than that it was empty.
I thought we were going somewhere for more of a hike, but the trail we ended up on didn't go far and let us out into a big open field. Finn was completely satisfied to play with the sticks, sand, trees and other goodies that he found in this field (with a little interaction from mom, of course). But watching him entertain himself in this small patch of nature surrounded by industry reminded me how crucial those times in nature are for our children.. even if 'nature' is only a small patch of open space. When I told him it was time to head home for lunch, he asked for just 5 more minutes to play..how could I say no?
Finn loves playgrounds, playdates, bike rides, and hikes... but I now realize that some days we just need to go to a patch of green space where he can explore, imagine and create with nothing but himself and the toys he finds in nature.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment