Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Curried Sweet Potato Coconut Soup

 I have been craving soup a lot lately (winter related more than pregnancy related, I think) and this is one of my favorites to whip up. It is adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant  Daily Special.

What You Need:
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 stalk celery, chopped
  • Tbl olive oil
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4-5 cups chopped and peeled sweet potatoes
  • 3 cups low sodium stock (or you can substitute water)
  • 1 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
  • Tbl lemon juice
  • Cilantro or toasted coconut flakes for garnish (optional)
What You Do:
  • Heat oil in a large soup pan on medium-low heat. Add onions and celery and saute for about 10 minutes, or until onion begin to turn translucent. 
  • Add curry powder, ginger, nutmeg, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir continuously for 1 minute
  • Add sweet potatoes, stock, and grated lemon peel. Cover and bring to a boil. Then lowered heat and simmer for about 15- 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
  • Remove from heat. Add OJ, coconut milk and lemon juice. Puree in a blender until smooth.
  • Top with cilantro or toasted coconut flakes (I prefer it with cilantro) and serve with yummy bread and salad! Enjoy!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I've made the Mooseword recipe of this- My MIL got me Moosewood many years ago-
    Yours looks good!!

    ReplyDelete