Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Polenta Pear Bread with Rosemary

 Here is a recipe for a quick bread that is versatile enough to work for a breakfast treat or as an accompaniment with dinner. I like it because it is so different from any other bread I have tasted...

What You Need:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup polenta
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup oil (canola or other)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large pears, peeled, cored and chopped (any pears will work... I prefer green pears for this recipe)
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
What You Do:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Using a mixer, mix on high for 1-2 minutes
  • Add flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated. Then fold in pears, lemon zest and rosemary.
  • Pour into a prepared bread pan and bake at 350 for about 1 hour 40 minutes (I think my loaf even took a bit longer) or until done.
I think next time I will try to make these as muffins because they are quite crumbly and the bread can be hard to slice. Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. oh yum- I am looking for new loaf recipes- my monkeys would love this minus the rosemary- although I would love the rosemary and I usally make two loaves at a time- cool, slice then freeze-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new header-great photo! This bread sounds interesting. Would never have thought of those ingredients together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy, I may try it tomorrow morning! We will be snowed in here in Maine so a new treat will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete