Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Cove: A Review

After a recommendation from several students of mine, I watched the film The Cove a few days ago. Have you guys seen this movie? It is unbelievably horrendous and brought me to tears.... several times. I won't give away too much, as I think this is a film that everyone should see for themselves. But, the film is a documentary about a small town in Japan where fisherman round up dolphins (by making loud noises which scare them) and trapping them with nets inside a cove. After the dolphins are contained, Sea World and other similar places come and take their pick of the best dolphins (mainly the young females) and then the remainder of the dolphins are slaughtered. Very inhumanely.
The dolphin meat is often sold to markets. However, because of bioaccumulation of toxins up the food chain, dolphin meat is toxic and should not be consumed. So, it is labeled as something entirely different (like shark or whale meat) and consumers are tricked into eating meat that could literally kill them.
A superbly depressing film, but a story that everyone should know about. I can promise you all that I will never ever be going to Sea World, as I am astounded that they can support this type of animal cruelty. So, please watch the film and educate yourself! There is also a webpage where you can help take action against these horrible acts. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment