Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cookies Galore!

Since we are staying close to home for Christmas this year, I have been busy baking cookies to share with family and friends... and if I might be honest, I have eaten a few too many myself!

Sugar cookies (my grandmother's recipe):

Fudge:

Peppermint Bark.... it was my first time making this (per my husband's request) and it came out OK... I couldn't find peppermint extract, and so used mint extract, and it has a hint of spearmint, which doesn't really seem right for these treats. Also, white baking chocolate is not cheap, so I now see why this stuff is so expensive at the store! It's not cheap to make yourself either...

And the infamous saltine toffee:

I think since it is the holiday season, I will be generous and share the recipe here! Be forewarned, these are addictive!

Saltine Toffee:

What You Need:
  • Foil
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 sleeve saltine crackers
What You Do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F
  • Line cookie sheet with foil. Now, this cookie sheet has to be able to fit into your freezer, so at my house, I can't use a regular cookie sheet but have to use 2 small toaster oven trays instead. Figure out what works for you before you start baking!
  • Cover cookie sheet with a layer of saltine crackers. If they don't fit perfectly, just break some apart and do the best you can.
  • Melt the 2 sticks of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, add brown sugar, bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
  • Pour butter-sugar mixture evenly over saltine crackers and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
  • Remove from oven, pour chocolate chips over the gooey mess and let it sit for a minute or two so they start to melt. Then spread the chocolate over the crackers, trying to get it as even as possible.
  • Then freeze until hard and break into pieces to eat or give away! I like to store mine in the freezer as at room temperature it gets pretty gooey and stuck in your teeth.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. wow- I am not much of a baker- I don't have a very sweet tooth- however Dr. J has been bring gifts home non-stop all month- I don't mind the wine but I think it is dangerous having so many cookies and baked goods in my house- It's like I can't have a cup of tea without consuming more calories than I usually consume in a whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yum! thanks for the recipe! xo m.

    ReplyDelete