Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Strawberry Picking...

Portland's summer so far has been less than ideal for gardening, so strawberry season here is just getting going. And, from the looks of things, it won't last long either. We made it out yesterday morning to pick some, but the plants and berries were all pretty tiny. We still managed to pick 2 pounds before Finn and Phoebe had had their fill...

 Oh, and did I mention that it was REALLY muddy?

And this is what we made...
 Strawberry Rhubarb Pie:
I cheated and bought pre-made pie crusts for this, as it was a very last minute addition to our dinner plans. For the filling I just mixed chopped up strawberries and rhubarb with some cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. I poured into a pie shell, put a few pats of butter on top, put another pie shell on top, and baked for about an hour at 350 F. Serve with coconut bliss or ice creamish type treat of your choice! Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Strawberry rhubarb pie is our favorite early summer dessert! Glad you at least got some strawberries this season.

    ReplyDelete