Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Day Preparations

Finn and I spent some time over the weekend making some decorations for Valentine's Day, as well as some homemade Valentines to send out to some friends and family. I did most of the cutting and the tying, while Finn did most of the gluing and design work. What a team!
I got Valentine-ish themed paper at JoAnn's for 25-cents per sheet and also used some construction paper and ribbon that we already had. So, I only spent about $2 total making the decorations and Valentines.. unless you count the 2 entire glue sticks that Finn used during the course of this project... oh well!
For decorations, we made fancy hearts to hang from our holiday tree, as well as hearts of different sizes to hang in front our of living room window.



 We also made fancy hearts to send out as Valentines and we made our own envelopes out of construction paper to fit the odd-sized cards we created! This was actually my first time making my own envelopes and it was so easy I can't wait to do it again!
To make your own envelopes:
-Place your valentine in the middle of a piece of construction or other paper. Fold the bottom up to meet the lower edge of the valentine. Do the same for the top edge. Now fold in both of the side edges.
- Remove your valentine. Unfold your paper and cut out the 4 small rectangles that are creased into each corner.
-Now fold up the bottom edge. Using double-sided tape or glue, glue the side folds to the bottom fold. Cut the top edge into a triangle shape. Insert your valentine and tape or glue the top flap down. Now your have an envelope!
Are you decorating or sending out Valentines this year? Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! And thanks for the envelope tip--I might need that to package our valentines this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, but lady, aren't you about to give birth? How do you have the energy? You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete