Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My New Little Etsy Shop.... Green Mama Deisgn!

So,... I have never been very good at taking it easy and I feel like I constantly need to have a project (or 40) to be working on. So, when I found out that I wouldn't be teaching this term because of my due date coming near the middle of the term, I knew that I would need to find some other things to occupy my time.
Not that being a full-time stay at home momma doesn't occupy my time. In fact, in my opinion, staying home with Finn is WAY harder than going to work, and I give a HUGE salute to all of those mommas out there who stay home full time with multiple kids and manage to home school them as well. Home schooling is still something that I am considering, but I honestly don't know if I could handle it.
I guess I feel like for me, I need something else to put energy into.... a job, a hobby... something to trademark me besides just 'Finn's mom'. So not teaching this term has been a mix of feelings. I am so happy to have more time to relax and less stress (and grading!) in my life for these past few weeks, but I have also really missed the interaction with the students and the feeling that I am doing something good for my community. I plan to be back for spring term (which starts at the end of March) to teach one class, so this break is a quick one, but it has made me realize how much I value my job and my time outside of the house.
So in the meantime, I have decided to make my contribution to the work world (and hopefully our bank account) by opening up an etsy shop. It has been something that has been in the back of my mind for months, but also something I could never really find the time to do (especially when I was trying to get all of my holiday gifts made). So now that I am on a brief hiatus for work, I managed to set up a shop, learn some new photo manipulation skills to get it looking spiffy, and make a few things to put in my shop.  So far I haven't sold anything, but it has allowed me to focus my energy and not feel like I am sitting around just waiting for the new bean  to arrive. I guess we'll see where it goes, but I am pretty excited about it for now! If you have a moment to check out my shop, just click on the picture of Finn above (or use the button on my sidebar). I would love any comments or suggestions that you have to make it better.. there are some very creative and talented crafters out there, so I have some great competition!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff at a great price! I totally understand the need to create. People ask me how I fit sewing in and I always tell them I MUST find time....will give up sleep if I need to. I have to have that creative outlet to stay sane (ish) :). I love the little knit hat! So adorable! Looking forward to blog meeting your little bean soon.

    ReplyDelete