Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

What Have We Done With All of Those Apples?


Apple Sauce:
We peeled and cored about 2 bowlfuls of apples and cooked them, along with some cinnamon, until they were tender. I like my applesauce chunky, so I mashed using a potato masher. Either eat warm, or jar for preserving! this is really delicious served warm with plain yogurt!
Note: I think I made my applesauce way too thick... it tastes delicious, but when I canned it there were lots of air pockets in the jars..... the jars sealed, so I think they are fine, but in the future, I think I will water mine down a wee bit!


Dried Cinnamon Apples:
Cut apples into thin slices and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place onto a greased tray and cook on 275 for about an hour or until dried. 


Apple Pie:
Peel and core 6-8 apples. Mix with cinnamon, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tbl lemon and a few pats of butter. Place into your favorite pie crust (homemade, or if you feel like cheating, store-bought). Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, than 45 minutes at 350. 
Note: I made this pie knowing my husband does not like pie (weirdo), but figured that Finn and I would be able to eat the entire thing. Now I know that Finn is not a fan of pie either,  so I guess I am going to have to eat this whole pie myself!


Apple-Cranberry Muffins:
What You Need:
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup whole grain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk or milk substitute
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 apples, peeled cored and chopped
  • 1/2 cup cranberries dried or fresh (I used dried but look forward to when cranberries are in seasons and trying it with fresh)
What You Do:
  • Preheat oven to 375. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Combine together and fold in fruits. Place into prepared muffin tins and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Apple pie is my favourite favourite treat! Yours looks lovely! xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That apple pie looks amazing, as do the muffins. Thanks for the recipe. I've never tried it with cranberries before.

    ReplyDelete