Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Microcosmos: A Review


I watched the documentary Microcosmos last night and it blew me away. Granted, I am a huge dork for science stuff, bugs included, but this just had some fabulous cinematography. This film is pretty old, from 1996, and I can't believe I had never seen it before.
The plot for the film is simplistic...bugs. Up close and in your face. There is practically no narration, just classical music and some amazing shots of insects. From bee pollination, to a caterpillar hatching, to some (pretty romantic, if I do say so myself) snail sex, this film covers it all.
The only downside is at times I would have actually enjoyed some narration (to learn what particular insects I was looking at and why they were doing what they did), but that also would have taken away from the simplistic nature of bugs doing what they do.
This is a french film, and I know the cameras that were used were revolutionary at the time, however, I haven't seen anything more current that comes even close at capturing these personal moments in an insects life. I watched this one by myself, but I think it's one that Finn will enjoy as well. Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment