Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Finn's Almost 3 Tree


In less than a month, my little boy is turning 3! I can't believe it. This birthday is going to be pretty special because this year is the first time that he is actually anticipating his birthday, and is talking about how it is almost here. So, in order to help him get a sense of "how long" until his birthday I made him a Finn Is Almost 3 Tree! Finn and I painted a tree together, cut it out and hung it on a closet door. I then cut out 31 fall colored leaves out of construction paper, and numbered them 0 to 30, for the 31 days from then until November 7th. I taped the leaves on the tree, and now each morning we get to take down the biggest number, and one less leaf means one day closer to the Big 3! The father we are into autumn, the less leaves we have left on our tree!
This has been great because Finn can get a better idea of time, and how long a month actually is. It has also been good as we have really been working on recognizing numbers over the past couple weeks, and this has helped make it into a game. Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Enjoy the birthday. I take such joy in my kid's special days! Birthdays should be a big day. Celebrate Finn!

    ReplyDelete