Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Speak for the Trees

The book, The Lorax, has been one of my favorites for as long as I can remember, and in the past year or so, it has become a favorite of Finn's as well. So, when we heard there was going to be a movie made, well, we just couldn't help being excited. Over the weekend, Todd and I took Finn for a special treat, and headed to the theater to see the film (we brought Phoebe too, but she slept through the entire thing!).
The film was great. Fun. Funny. And, like the book, it carries a wonderful message about taking care of our planet and all of the creatures on it. The film actually even takes it a step further than the book, making a parody of the typical American suburban lifestyle and our love of consumption. The only parts about the film that I didn't love were the voices... both Danny Devito and Ed Helms have very unique voices, and although they matched the parts perfectly, I kept picturing their faces the entire time!
So, yes, I loved the movie. And if you check out the the film website, it actually has some really cool info about The Lorax Project, which includes some games and activities for kiddos. The website also has some links to a lesson planning page for teachers, which may be something fun for the homeschoolers out there.
OK. So, yes, the film was fun, Finn had a blast, and the movie and website are all sending a good message. And I hate to be a downer, BUT, the marketing associated with this film, specifically for the new Mazda, seems to negate some of this good that the film is doing. There has actually been quite a controversy about this on the blogosphere, and many folks are outraged. Stephen Colbert even made fun of the commercial on the Colbert Report last week.
However, annoying greedy car companies aside, the movie was fun, and I hope that it helps our children become more aware that they are the vehicles for change. Someone needs to start speaking for the trees, and it needs to be soon.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not."
-The Lorax
Have you seen the film? Will you see the film? Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the film yet, but when I heard that there were over 70 product tie-ins, I rolled my eyes. Hollywood has a way of kinda ruining everything don't they? :) Glad the message of the book came through, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it. But we are less of a theatre family and more of a wait until its released so we can all watch it in our pjs while eating popcorn on our Cal King bed kind of family. :) Thank goodness movies are released on netflix so quickly these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my little man is a wee bit older I think this will be one we rent to see at home. We are not much of a movie going family, prefer watching in the comfort of our home. Thanks for the review, so glad to hear the message was strong despite the advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the book so, so much. I'm glad to hear you liked the movie! I was wondering about it.

    ReplyDelete