Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!
Friday, November 30, 2012
Let the Countdown Begin!
Finn, like most 5 year old kids, can't wait for Christmas. For weeks now he has been asking me over and over again "how many more days until Christmas?". Thankfully, tomorrow is December 1st, and we can begin the official countdown to Christmas...
Last year I made a family-time owl advent calender. The owls above have been hung on our fireplace, and each day holds a piece of paper with something special that we get to do as a family that day. They help remind Finn how many more days until Christmas, and they help remind me how important it is to spend time together as a family.
Here is my December family to-do list, although I still have not figured out what order they will go in. Last year, Todd and I decided each day the night before, leaving some flexibility in our busy schedules!:
1. Decorate the tree
2. Write a letter to Santa
3. Make (and drink) homemade hot cocoa
4. Go ice skating
5. Make holiday cookies to share with friends
6. Donate toys or food to families in need
7. Make a gingerbread house
8. See Christmas carolers
9. Take Finn to the Nutcracker ballet
10. See the infamous Peacock Lane Christmas lights
11. Watch It's a Charlie Brown Christmas
12. Go see the Zoolights display at the Oregon Zoo
13. Make upcycled ornaments
14. Dance to a Christmas album
15. Go out to a family dinner
16. Make a holiday craft
17. Make a Buche de Noel (French Christmas log cake)
18. See the light display at The Grotto
19. Watch a Christmas movie
20. See the decorations downtown
21. Take a holiday hike
22. Go on a spontaneous family adventure
23. Make holiday lanterns
24. Read The Night Before Christmas
Do you have exciting December plans? I would love to know what special plans you have for you and your family! Pin It Now!