Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Ride More, Drive Less


The more you drive your car, the more fossil fuels you burn, which, in turn, leads to more and more global warming. In short, lots of driving = bad for the environment. Why not run some of your errands by bike? Biking is great exercise, does not require fuel inputs (except some snacks for the rider!) and is less likely to drive you insane.
My little guy LOVES going on bike rides. We have both a copilot bike seat (shown above) and a burley trailer, both of which we easily found used on craigslist. This allows me to ride my bike to the library, to get groceries, or anywhere else nearby, with my son happily in tow. Happily would be an understatement. He actually squeals and yells "fun!" practically the entire time we are riding. Plus, I can burn off the chocolate bar I am going to eat after dinner while riding to the store to buy it. Woo-hoo!
A few practical notes: make sure you and your kiddo have a helmet on and avoid busy streets. Portland (once again) is an awesome city because it has bike streets (which cars can drive on, but they are biker-friendly) . Go by bike! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment