Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Yarn Along

Happy yarn along! Getting a late start to my morning today, but thought I would join in with Ginny over at Small Things for today's yarn along. Better late than never, right? Life has been a bit, OK, a lot, hectic these past couple of weeks, and I have so much I want to blog about, but I haven't been able to find the time. I am hoping this weekend will bring me a much needed reprieve, and a chance to sit down with my thoughts.
Anyways, over the past two weeks I haven't gotten much knitting done. I have actually done some knitting, but I ended up frogging 2 projects: a cowl that I was nearly done with but I had just made one too many mistakes on the complex pattern and was not happy with the results. The second was a wurm hat I had intended to make for myself, and all was going well until I had to fold over the brim to make a double edge, and I just couldn't seem to get it matched up right. It was bumpy and lumpy and I ripped it out. I had never ripped something out from circular needles before and it was surprisingly hard. Very unsatisfying, actually. Usually the act of frogging helps release my frustration, but this time I ended up having to pull out the scissors, and it took about 10 minutes to get the yarn off the needle.
So, what am I knitting, you ask? Well, a couple days ago I started another sweater for Phoebe... this time the Helena sweater. I had no intentions of starting another sweater anytime soon, especially since I just finished one, but it's the only thing that I already had the pattern and yarn picked out for and I haven't had time to come up with another project! I think I will end up working on this sweater very slowly, over the next few months, with many more projects in between (as soon as I have time to sit down and figure out what I want to knit!).
In term of reading, I am still slowly absorbing Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest. I am liking it, but just haven't had the time to devote to it, so haven't made it very far. I also started The Urban Homestead, which is interesting and well-written, but also seems very similar to several other books I have already read. I am sure I will manage to glean some new information from it though. I have also been browsing through Gluten-Free Baking Classics. I have been thinking and reading a lot about how my body reacts to gluten (more on that later, if I ever find time!) and although I have not decided if I am going to stop eating gluten altogether, I have decided that I should reduce the amount I eat.... but I still need to be able to bake! I have yet to try any recipes, but am hoping to make some muffins this morning.
What are you reading? What are you knitting?

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. That pattern is adorable!! I can't wait to see more of your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have knit Wurm before and had to frog it once for the same reason. Please do try again, when all the knitting stars are aligned and everything matches up it really is a great pattern.
    Have a wonderful yarn along day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that you had to frog the wurm once as well.. well, not happy, but it makes me feel like less of a failure. I know I am still an intermediate knitter, but I thought I could have handled that... Oh well. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I've read the urban homestead- I agree- well written and easy to read/follow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your piles of books. Always so much there that sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about all of that frogging. Sometimes it seems that frogging is the only knitting that seems to happen. That sweater will be beautiful. I love that it has the same name as my daughter. Have fun knitting; I can't wait to see more of it.
    xo,
    Ang (peach coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about all the frogging, it is tough to do, but sometimes necessary.

    We are pretty much gluten free in our home, I bake gluten free muffins all the time and cookies. I have a gluten free bagel recipe we love, but I have not quite mastered gluten free bread, but it is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wool is so pretty. One of my favourite colours. Sorry it was preceded by so much frustration.

    I'm interested to hear your further thoughts on gluten....I've had a feeling I need to be backing away from it but it feels awfully daunting.

    ReplyDelete