Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Yarn Along

Happily joining in with Ginny at Small Things for this week's yarn along. This week I have been browsing through a couple of knitting books, Essential Baby by Debbie Bliss and Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders by Judith Durant. I actually chose my first sweater pattern that I am going to knit for Phoebe; the corssover top sweater in Essential Baby. I already bought the yarn and everything (so it's official) but I am going to wait a few weeks to get started. I am a little nervous as I have never knit a sweater (or anything that complicated) before. I also started reading The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan and Stolen Harvest by Vandana Shiva. I will write up reviews on those when I have finished.
This week I started knitting a stuffed peacock with a friend of mine, but it isn't going so well as we are having a bit of trouble deciphering the pattern. So that project has been temporarily put on hold. I am also knitting some adorable baby booties, the pattern can be found for free here.  I still have to tie in loose ends and add buttons to the first one, but so far they look really cute. However, I made the small size and am now kicking myself because I think they will probably fit P for about a week. Oh well.
And, can you see the hidden baby feet in my picture? They are just screaming for new booties!
And, last week I finally finished the Stella Pixie Hat (pattern from Vintage Baby Knits). I have been working on this for awhile, so it feels good to be done. Just in time for summer nonetheless! Anyways, it was hard to get a good shot of Phoebe actually wearing it, but I did my best.

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. awwe! i love that hat! i'm trying to make a pixie hat now. well sort of. i'm not really using a pattern. i also have read stolen harvest and the backyard homestead. well i skimmed the backyard homestead. vandana shiva is great. i can't get my yarn along up b/c i can't post pics for some reason. so i'm just browsing everyone elses :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've been wanting to read The Backyard Homestead! By the way, I went shopping for calendula seeds today and couldn't find them. ??? I thought they were pretty common. May look online but I think I've missed the growing season already yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the Stella is so cute on little P! Stolen Harvest is the only Shiva book that I've read (although I want to read them all) and it totally rocked my world. Good luck on your first sweater! I have yet to tackle a project that big. Some day....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny- my calendula plants (which I planted from seed but have naturalized due to the mild Portland winters) started to come up about a month ago and already have blooms. I would think that you could still plant them now and have them produce for you before summer ends, as they are fairly quick growing and pretty hardy.... but I don't know for sure. I would check online. If you don't have any luck this summer, I can always send you seeds in a couple months that you can save for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pixie! tell me about one skein,,,do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I almost can't stand all the cuteness. ;-) What a sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete