Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I made homemade laundry soap for the first time a few weeks ago. It was relatively easy, except for the part where you grate bar soap... that was definitely an arm workout! However, Finn though soap grating was a great pastime (with my help of course) and has repeatedly asked me to "do more soap grating". Regardless, I think it will be cheaper in the long run, and it is nice to know EXACTLY what is going into your laundry (and back into our water supply).
We used peppermint Dr. Bronners and so far I have been pretty pleased with the results!
We use about 1/8 cup per load. The recipe can be found below:

1 1/4 cup baking soda
3/4 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1.5 bars dr. bronners Pin It Now!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting- I wonder if you could put it in the food processor or buy it pre-gratted?! With my wrists I could not handle the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I use a really simple recipe for homemade laundry powder and you can save your wrists in the process. I use 1 cup Washing Soda, 1 cup baking soda (no borax!!), 60mls of liquid Dr Bronners castile soap. Put the powders in your food processor. As it's whizzing slowly add the liquid castile soap. End result, beautiful fine powder. Only use one spoonful per load. I have a front loader and that's all it needs. I guess I could add a cup of borax to my mix as well for extra cleaning but my mixture works absolutely fine without it. You can add 20 drops of essential oil (slowly) into the mix when whizzing but I found it hard to get the lavendar scent out. Might have to buy a secondhand processor just for making my laundry powder, LOL.
    Sandra in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete