Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Reduce, Reuse and Reuse Some More


Everyone has heard of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle", right? I would first like to point out that the 3 R's are in that particular order for a particular reason..... because that is the order in which they should be done. For example, recycling the packaging from that online order you got is fabulous! But, wouldn't it even be better if you had no packaging to recycle?
We obviously all need things (and need to buy things) and we can't always get (or want to get) what we need secondhand. But, before you make a purchase, try and ask yourself:
1. Does my family really need this?
2. Can I find the item used or make it myself?
3. Can I find a version that is more environmentally friendly?
I have found that baby clothes, shoes and books are great things to buy used. Babies and kids grow so fast that you can often find used items that have barely been worn (see this past weekend's score: Finn's new-to-him used sneakers shown above). Portland has some great used baby stores. If your town doesn't, search on craigslist or try and start a baby-item swap with other parents in your area. Also, summertime is a great time to hit up garage sales for kid's stuff. Last summer I had great luck by searching "baby garage sale" on craigslist. This is not only kinder on the environment (you reduce the pollution of making and transporting new goods and keep old stuff out of landfills) but, it is also kinder on your wallet!
For all you crafty (or potentially crafty) mamas out there- babies are a great place to try out your skills. For one, they don't care what they are dressed in, so if you didn't do such a great job, well, they will still love you. Second, they are small, and small means less materials and less work! I am trying to learn how to knit a hat for my son, and at the rate I am going, I am happy that he is still a little guy!
When you do decide to buy something new, the best choice for the environment is to buy things that are high quality that will last for a long time. These items often cost more upfront, but end up being more bang for your buck because you can use them longer and you can sell them when you are done.
And, when you do buy something new, don't forget to recycle that packaging!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment