Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Hello Hello Hello!


Hello eco-mamas and eco-papas! Today is the first day of my new blog, Mama Gone Green. This blog is dedicated to sharing ideas about raising children who value nature and the world around them, and raising them in a way that reduces the impact on our Mother Earth. We all want our children to have a wonderful world in which to raise their own families, but in order to leave them a world that is still wonderful, we need to take action now.
I am the mother of a wonderful 16 month old son. Everyday I learn from him as he explores the world around him, free from expectations. Everyday I am faced with new challenges as a mother, as well as new challenges as an environmentalist. Parenting can be taxing on us as individuals (hello, lack of sleep), but it can also be taxing on our environment as well. Babies need lots of things, they make lots of messes, and when you are already exhausted and sleep deprived, it can be hard to make environmentally conscious and healthy decisions for you and your family. Trust me, I have been there.
As an environmental science instructor at a community college here in Portland, Oregon, I spend a lot of my time focused on sustainability and my part in the balance of our Earth. The more I teach others about the impact of their actions on the environment, the more aware I become of how my choices affect my world and the people that I share it with, both now and in the future. And so I have made (and am still making) a big effort to reduce my impact on the Earth, and to instill these values in my son. My students actually (unknowingly) inspired me to write this blog; many of them have thanked me for helping them learn about the impacts of their actions and for helping them to make more informed choices. I started to realize that most people are not out to harm the planet, they just have very little idea of how large of an impact their lifestyle has. So, if I can reach out and inform others (you!) and help other families make informed decisions, then maybe I can make a tiny contribution to saving our Earth.
I feel very lucky to live in Portland where eco-friendly is a way of life. Well, sort of. Much more than most other places I have been. Portland has many options for buying local, buying organic, and embracing a less harmful way of life. But, if you don't live in Portland, have no fear! You too can have these options-- it just takes people like you to start a movement.
With that, I begin my blogging. Mama Gone Green hopes to share with you the wisdom I have learned along my journey of life and of motherhood and to gain more wisdom from the parents out there who have their own experiences to share. Knowledge is empowerment. Let's empower each other!
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. taryn!
    i love that you're doing this! i can't wait to learn tons of stuff from you. you're right - our little ones have lots of messes. thanks for starting this blog - you're amazing!
    xoxo ~ h

    ReplyDelete