Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

On Love, Loss and Puppy Cow





I have sort of disappeared from this space. The past couple of weeks have been a bit heavy, and I just wasn't ready to share.

Over the weekend, I had to euthanize my 15 year old dog, Puppy Cow. It had been a long time coming.... it was probably about 18 months ago when I started to wonder how long he had left. And somehow, he persevered.... and kept on keeping on.

It's a huge gift, and a burden, to have the power to decide when it is the right time for your dog to move on. Even after making the appointment, I was questioning my decision, considering cancelling. But as the time grew nearer, I knew that I was doing the right thing.

Puppy Cow was amazing. I adopted him from an animal shelter in Durango Colorado. I was there with my sister, who was looking for a dog for HER. I already had a dog at the time, Sam, and the thought of getting a second dog had never crossed my mind. But when I saw this sweet little 4 month old puppy, who was going to be euthanized in just a few days because he was blind, my heart melted and I couldn't help but bring him home.

I wouldn't say that he had a rough life-- he just wasn't so lucky in the physical department. Blind from birth, he ended up needing both ACLs replaced, and his bone structure was messed up so he developed arthritis at an early age. But yet, until the past year when he started to whine more frequently, he never complained. He just always exuded a sense of joy and acceptance, no matter the circumstance.

He was such a loyal friend and has been in my life for so long that I feel like it is the end of an era. I adopted him before I went to grad school. Before kids were even a thought in my mind. He lived with me in 3 different states and 5 different houses. He even outlasted my marriage.

Puppy Cow was one of a kind. Truly. And I will always hold a place in my heart for him.

And I thought that my tears were done, but I now realize that they aren't. My heart is heavy but also so very full.

 

 




 

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

  1. Hugs to you my dear friend. I know how difficult this is. I am thinking about you and sending you lots of love, and light. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending you hugs, love, and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I am so sorry you lost a faithful friend. If only pets could live as long as us. I know he had a wonderful life and when you are ready you'll adorn your spaces with photos of him and smile and remember good times. I'm choked up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry. It is so painful to lose a beloved pet. My dog was 16 when we had to decide to euthanize her. Like you, we probably knew for at least a year that her health was failing. Please take comfort in the fact that you were able to end Puppy Cow's suffering. Thinking of you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry. It is so painful to lose a beloved pet. My dog was 16 when we had to decide to euthanize her. Like you, we probably knew for at least a year that her health was failing. Please take comfort in the fact that you were able to end Puppy Cow's suffering. Thinking of you and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. X

    ReplyDelete