Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny over at Small Things for the first Yarn Along of 2012!
Since I didn't finish Phoebe's Christmas stocking in time for Christmas, I set a goal to finish it before 2012. And, I finished up on New Year's Eve (yup, I am that lame..... I stayed home and was knitting on New Years Eve!). I decided that I would wait until next year to felt it, so right now it looks incredibly huge! Below is a picture of Phoebe in the stocking!!
Right now I am knitting a cow for me (Hooray!), which is only the second thing I have ever knitted for myself. I decided it was about time. I am using a free pattern from ravelry, the fern lace cowl, and I am using this lusciously-soft tan-colored alpaca yarn. I am in love with this yarn. Seriously. My only concern is that this cowl seems like it might be too narrow, even though I am following the pattern. (At least I have a second skein of this stuff just in case !). And, although the cowl is easy to knit, it is a pattern that you have to pay close attention to, and I already managed to make a couple of mistakes. Hopefully they won't be seen in the end. I also casted-on for a pair of mittens on a string for Phoebe. I am not using a pattern, but I think I can manage to figure this out on my own.
I am still reading Collapse by Jared Diamond. It is excellent, but very dense, and slow going. I am also reading Food Inc. by Peter Pringle, which is all about genetic modification of food. I am really enjoying this one so far.
What are you reading and knitting?

Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Does the yarn have stretch to it? I made several cowls that I thought would be fine but were too big, actually. And I made a cowl for my mother that was narrower but still too big (she kept stretching as she put it over her head) - it grew as she wore it. So perhaps it'll be bigger than you think? Maybe put a waste yarn through the stitches or needle points to hold the yarn on the needle and try it on? Phoebe looks so cute inside that stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading a great book- I'll write a post in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing cowls this winter. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Love the yarn you are knitting with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips Ellen... maybe it will seem bigger once I get it off the needles. I should be done in a day or two, so I figure if it doesnt fit me, it will make a great gift for a younger gal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo of Phoebe in the stocking! So cute!
    I love lacy cowls- can't wait to see the progress on yours. :)

    ~Cynthia
    brambleberriesintherain.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phoebe is such a cutie! I love her stocking - should keep her cozy until you felt it. ;)
    I love the cowl pattern you're working with. I hope the size is okay...I agonize over whether or not my fit is right but usually it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute stocking (and an even cuter little girl you've got in it!). Bravo to you on getting it done before next Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete