Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Gifts and A Tulip Adventure

This was the first year that Finn really anticipated the Easter Bunny, which meant 2 things: 1. Easter is now way more fun because he is gets so darn excited about it and 2. I didn't do a completely handmade Easter this year because I knew Finn was expecting presents from the Easter Bunny. So I made the kids a few things, and then Finn also got a few store bought gifts (socks, a pair of pants, a board game and, of course, some candy) that the Easter Bunny brought. We also hid sticker-filled eggs throughout the house and man, did he have a blast!

Here is what I whipped up for Easter. And, by "whipped", I really mean what I worked on for the past month since I feel like I have no time for crafting these days! The bunnies were from Natural Knits for Babies and Moms. They turned out pretty cute, but not as cute as I had expected. I did learn how to make my first pom-pom though! I also made a few chubby chicks, which is a free Rebecca Danger pattern available from ravelry. These turned out pretty darn cute, although I made some out of both wool and cotton and I think the wool held the shape a lot better, especially when I made the beaks. I also made Finn a rocket applique shirt from a hand-me down tee he got and rarely wore. Hopefully it will now be a big hit with the new design!



After presents and a trip to the french bakery for some croissants, we drove to Woodburn Oregon for a trip to the Tulip Festival. The weather was dreary, but the row upon row of gorgeous colorful tulips definitely brightened up the mood. It was muddy, and we almost had a few wipe outs, but managed to leave only slightly dirty. I only wish that all of the other people could have left so I could have gotten some better people-free photos!


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. The handknits turned out great! Sounds like you guys had a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are the most gorgeous photos of the Tulip festival. I am so incredibly jealous. I will HAVE to go sometime in my lifetime! = )

    And filling eggs with stickers...such a great idea. I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your knits turned out super cute! Love the birds.(Put a bird on it!)
    We thought of going to the Tulip Festival on Saturday but ended up out in the mountains instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tulips are gorgeous! Your bunnies look way more complicated than the one I made, I need it nice and simple right now. I'm new to this whole knitting toys gig!

    ReplyDelete