Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Good to the Grain: A Review

Whole grains are all the rage these days, and for good reason. Studies have shown that a diet rich in whole grains can help to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Whole grains have more protein and more fiber, and therefore take your body longer to break down. This means you don't get a rush of carbohydrates (basically sugars) like you do when you eat refined flours.
I try to eat whole grains as much as possible, but we all know that our taste buds often prefer refines grains, especially when we are dealing with treats and sweets. Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce is filled with recipes on how to turn whole grains into delicious (and more nutritious) breads, breakfasts and desserts.
I haven't yet tried any of the recipes from this book, but I photocopied quite a few before returning it back to the library (by the way.....I had to wait months to get this book from our public library.. apparently whole grains are no secret in Portland!). I will keep you posted as add some of these whole-grained baked goods to my repertoire! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment