Mama Gone Green is a blog dedicated to raising happy children and reducing our impact on the Earth. My name is Taryn and I am the mother of 2 young kids and an environmental studies instructor at a community college in Portland, Oregon. Please join me as I journey through life as a mama, teacher, knitter, photographer, gardener, and environmentalist!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Learn an Herb: Bee Balm


At our little urban house in Portland, Oregon, we are slowly trying to turn our yard into a permaculture-based system. As we chose new plants to bring into our garden, we want to make sure that they are edible or serve some other useful purpose. As I am starting to learn, many herbs are edible, useful for home health remedies, attract beneficial insects and are beautiful to look at. However, I don't know nearly as many herbs as I should, or as I want to anyways, and as the summer progresses I hope to learn more and more useful herbs (and how to use them!).
One of my favorites in our garden is bee balm (monarda didyma). You can use all of the above-ground parts of this plant. Bee balm tea is good for colds, headaches, gastric problems, low fevers, sore throats, nausea, PMS, and insomnia. Externally, bee balm can help treat acne and infections. Plus, as you could probably guess from the name, our friends the bees love this plant and I think it is absolutely gorgeous! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment